Wednesday, May 9, 2007

trying to get it together

As you can see from the title of this post, I'm trying to get it all together. I'm trying to tie up loose ends in the grad school application process. I'm making copies of my passport to leave at home. I'm buying traveler's checks. I'm buying 3 huge bags of clothes and flip flops at Old Navy! Yes, all this in preparation for my six week stay in Mexico. My friends there love Old Navy clothes (especially the flag t-shirts- who knew?) and put in their order of what they wanted me to bring them. I've also been asked to buy Nike basketball shoes, a backpack, an ipod transmitter, a cordless phone, Bath and Body Works...the list goes on. Needless to say, I've been busy shopping and I'm not done yet. I'm taking two gigantic suitcases and only one has my stuff in it! That's the Mexico update.

Trying to fulfill my civic duty, I volunteered to work at the polls for yesterday's primary election. I hope my duty has been fulfilled because I'm not sure I can do it again- it was exhausting! After picking up the supplies the night before I had to be up at 4am in order to start opening the polling place at 5. Then, after a LONG day of sitting in the same room, I had get all the ballots counted and in order and return them. Whew! The people I worked with were great- we had a lot of time to talk seeing as my precinct had 35 voters in 12 hours! Pathetic- it makes me sad to realize just how much Americans take for granted their right to vote.

I'm excited to say that on Saturday I'm a bridesmaid in my friends' wedding. Pictures to follow:) Luckily, my flight the next day isn't until 3pm. Before long, I'll stop talking about preparing for Mexico and actually start talking about what it's like to be there! I'm so afraid I'll forget something but I just keep telling myself that everything I need to live in Mexico I can buy in Mexico!

2 comments:

Cara Bara said...

Jenna--I didn't know Wednesday was your last day =( Have a fun and safe trip. Can't wait to see pictures!!

Hannah said...

I worked at the polls too! We had 31 votes.

Enjoy Mexico!

P.S. Thanks for talking about support letters at Lori's bachelorette party... your words truly gave me a lot of peace about "solicitation" (in the words of my brother Tom).