Monday, May 14, 2007

merida day 1

Here´s the proof- me and Paulina at the airport last night!


So here´s what happened on my way to mexico yesterday. My brother took me to the airport and helped me carry in my suitcaises. I flew Continental and they allow 50lbs per bag. I had two huge black suitcases that weighed exactly 50 lbs each! One for me and one with gifts. I also carried on a smaller suitcase and a backpack. I started getting nervous when I was waiting to leave Houston for Mexico but I called Brit and she calmed my nerves:) There was also a nice man on the plane who was born in Merida but lives in LA. He also calmed my nerves and helped to pass the time. When I got to Mexico, I had to carry all my luggage through customs- oh my goodness. It was humorous because my friends were standing on the other side watching me struggle with three heavy suitcases and they couldn´t help me! Then, at customs in Merida they have a funny little stoplight machine and you have to press a button and it randomly gives some people a red light and they look through your luggage. Well guess who got a red light. My friends were laughing so hard and I think the customs lady was equally annoyed that she had to look through my three bags.

Today I wen with the group from IWU to the womens prison in Merida- some of the ladies who were there last year remembered us! They were so grateful to have us visiting. We shared testamonies and they made lunch for us. None of us liked the food very much (one thing was a hot dog salad!) but they had sacrificed a lot to make it for us so we ate it gratefully:) There are no cameras allowed inside but maybe tomorrow when we go back I´ll ask nicely- they´re really pretty laid back there. If not, I´ll definitely say a lot more about what goes on there- God is moving in incredible ways inside those walls.

This afternoon we are resting after being up late and getting up early to go to the prison. It is sooo nice to sleep in a hammock again! Tonight, we´re going to see Spiderman 3 in English with Spanish subtitles. That´s how most movies are here.


More later and pictures soon!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yay you made it! i'm glad things are going well so far- and that sounds hillarious about the suitcases :)
♥ you!
--jt--

Cara Bara said...

I would have been majorly stressed traveling by myself. Lucky sleeping in a hammock! The weather has been amazing here lately, except today we're getting storms and a cold front moving in :(