Thursday, May 24, 2007

no food today

Don´t worry, I did eat today, but my parents told me that my blogs are always about food so today I´m not going to tell you about what I ate. Sorry.

Not a whole lot new today. I went downtown again to study at the air-conditioned library. On my way there, I stopped off in a market and was stopped by some old men. Now if you´ve seen the movie "Return to Me" just think of the old men in that movie. Just some funny old men who wanted to talk politics and American culture with the girl from Indiana. They were so hilarious. Like old men all over the world, they love to philosophize. They wanted to talk about George Bush and we got into pacifism...whoa... they really wanted to win me over to their side but with my limited spanish all I could say was that I´m a pacifist at heart and it´s complicated:) While we were on the topic of Democrats, they wanted to know who I thought killed JFK. Seriously. I said that it was probably Oswald but that no one really knows. Wrong answer. Because they think that it was Johnson. My brother would like them- he´s into conspiracy theories. They also said, "Nobody knows, or nobody wants to know?" Oh my. Finally we started talking about more benign things like what Americans eat for Thanksgiving and is it really a possibility that we´ll have a woman president in the US. At any rate, it was entertaining, and good practice for my spanish. Before I pried myself away I got some pictures with them. This blog is great because it motivates me to take pictures that I might otherwise be too lazy to take!



After some very productive hours at the library with my GRE math, I decided to walk around for awhile before I headed home. There´s a free contemporary art museum in Merida that I´ve been wanting to go to so I stopped in. It was very nice for a free museum. I didn´t take as many pictures as I would have liked because I wasn´t really sure when I was or wasn´t allowed to.

Here are a couple of random shots

I really liked this (below). It´s called En Busca de Un Ideal (In search of an ideal). If you can´t tell, the two concrete pillars don´t quite match up.

And these are from my favorite exhibit. I´d love to have these paintings in my house someday! I can´t remember the artist´s name but it was a woman. The painting below was my favorite. It´s called Puerta Circular (Circular Door). I think it goes without saying, but pictures just cannot do justice.
I didn´t get to everything before it was time to get back for lunch at 4. But since it´s free I´m sure I´ll go again! I can´t believe that tomorrow is Friday! My time here is flying by!

Preview: tomorrow I´m going to a medical conference that Ted is working at. They´re talking about AIDS and he talked to the doctor in charge who said I could come for awhile without paying! I actually understand more of that kind of stuff because a lot of the scientific terms are very similar to the english. We´ll see! Also on a medical note, on Saturday I´m going to one of the hospitals here. Pau has a prof who´s an emergency room physician and he said I could come hang out with him. Luckily I remembered to pack scrubs!

No comments: