Wednesday, May 23, 2007

empañadas...hushpuppies...yum

The last two days have been pretty low key which is nice after running around for a week. Yesterday, I decided to stay at home by myself and just rest and study. I went to the store to buy some Trix for breakfast- it´s nice because there are so many little stores and restaurants within walking distance. When I got home, for some reason I couldn´t remember the trick to opening the door and I had to call Pau on my Mexican cell phone- thank goodness for that.

I finally was able to download and watch the greys season finale...wow...talk about leaving me hanging. But it was good to have a taste of home. Same with movies. There´s a channel here that shows movies in English with subtitles. Sometimes I watch a movie that I normally wouldn´t just because it´s in english!

Pau came home for lunch between work and school and we walked to a little restaurant that just serves lunch- comida light- light food. It reminded me of Panera because you get soup and bread and an entre. But unlike the $7 you would pay at Panera it was less than $7 for both of us!
This little lunch place was so cute!

I studied quite a bit yesterday- both spanish and gre stuff. When Pau got home I was doing my spanish flashcards and we had a little informal english-spanish lesson before we left for women´s prayer meeting at the church.

I really like going to church here. Sometimes, when I´m at my church at home, I have a tendency to be thinking about other things and not paying attention. But here, if I want to understand what´s going on I have to pay close attention. And when I understand something, it really sticks with me. So I feel like I´m seeing things in a new light.

After that, Nelson, Ted, and Diego met us at the church to take us home where we spent an hour deciding what to eat for dinner...wow. Finally we ordered pizza from Dominos which I don´t think my stomach liked because I felt a little sick this morning.

Rosie, Pau´s mom, wanted me to go with her to el centro this morning. She needed to buy fabric for some clothes she´s making and chicken for our "lunch." So I guess you would call what we ate at 10:30 a morning snack:) For breakfast we had oatmeal smoothie things (her favorite) and when we got back we stopped at a little "store" where Rosie and her friends hang out and the lady whose house it is makes empañadas. My parents will appreciate this: they reminded me of Judy and Lona and Mona! Just having lunch together and talking.


This is Santa, the lady who makes the empañadas. She reminded me of Judy so much- always entertaining and telling jokes. They are half circle shaped things filled with ground beef. The outside part tasted so familiar to me but it took me so long to figure it out- they taste like hushpuppies from Long John Silvers! Only better of course.

This afternoon, Rosie and I are going to wash clothes. They have a washing machine and then they just hang the clothes out to dry.

Two things I feel bad about:

- Paulina has the big, final exam of her college program on Friday and I want to make sure she knows that she can study if she wants. She doesn´t have to entertain me all the time.

- People never let me pay. Well, sometimes, but only if I´m really annoying about it. I´m going to have to find a way around that because I don´t want them to pay all the time.

Something I´m thankful for:

- Someone, actually. Ted. His english is great and sometimes I need him to explain complicated situations to me. And I feel comfortable talking to him about things like why no one ever lets me pay and how I can change that:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grey's was pretty good. I'm still upset Christina and Burk didn't marry *sigh* but it is best for both. I feel terrible for George, I wonder what he will do next?!?!

I LOOOVVVEEEE empanadas!! I make chicken empanadas and they are pretty good, probably not as good as theirs.