Saturday, May 19, 2007

a day of many firsts

Wow! Can I just say that I love love love Merida!!! And my amazing friends here- though of course I miss all of you at home:) Ok, so even though no one has commented on what I wrote last night I´ll write again. I´m writing this as much for myself as I am for anyone else! So today, Pau and I set out for El Centro (downtown) so that she could teach me to navigate the city by myself! At the end of her block, we caught the cambi Lindavista which is the name of a taxi-bus that goes to el centro. It costs 50 cents.





This is an example of what you see in el centro. Not to sound like a commercial, but it is literally a bustling center of commerce and culture. Neta. I love it! The buildings are all so old and beautiful. And there are parks everywhere.





There are tons of theaters here and most shows are either free or less than $3. Merida really is the center of Yucatecan culture. There is something to do every night- dancing, folklore, bands...did I mention that I love it here?!



This is an example of the beautiful churches here



One of the theaters that we went in to check out the events had this art display. It was so beautiful and they let me take pictures. The painter is German but he lives in Merida now.






This was my favorite- it´s called The Parade






After this, we were on our way to the biblioteca (library) where I will study when Pau is at work and school. I am soooo excited about hanging out downtown, studying, eating, doing my thing!


This is the courtyard of the library which also has free internet!



Next stop was to eat some icecream! Mine was watermelon. Then Ted and Nelson met up with us.



On our way to our next stop, we saw this thing outside of the museum of contemporary art. What did I tell you? Culture abounds.





And what, you ask, was our next stop? I decided it would be fun to get my nose pierced! It only costs $12 and it was clean. I watched him open the needle, Mom:) Then, Pau decided to get hers done too!!! Wow, what a bad influence I am :) It only hurt at the moment. As soon as it was in it didn´t hurt at all.




Final stop, Burger King. Here, pronounced like Booger King!


Ted and Pau


And me and Nelson



Even in Mexico, you can have it your way! The big print says: Proclamation of the king, What you want.

Last, but certainly not least, I learned how to get back home to my neighborhood, "Pensiones." Don´t worry, I still have my shirt on.

I think tonight we´re just chillin here at the casa. Tomorrow is church which I´m excited about. Nelson is playing the drums! If you´re reading, leave me a comment:) I know this was long so I hope you enjoy the pictures!

5 comments:

kentbrantly said...

dear jenna,
i'm sorry you aren't enjoying your time there more. don't worry, you'll eventually adjust to life there and things won't seem so bad. it's just that initial wave of homesickness you have to get over. once that is past, the world will seem like a brighter place. you may even find that you LIKE living in mexico. believe it or not, by the time you come home, you probably won't want to leave... hard to imagine now, i know, but you'll see.
hang in there, kid. and keep your chin up. that's the best way to avoid getting an infected nose piercing.
love,
kent <><

ps - keep up the blogging. it makes a great journal to go back and read later.
pps - FREE internet at the library? wow!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh...i can't believe you got your nose pierced!!!!! Actually....i can. You can be kind of sporadic like that some times. I can't wait to see it. And, it's really cool that you got to go to that art display. It looks like you are definately in a more wealthy part of mexico than I thought you would be going to. I miss you- i needed you here for the Grey's season finale!!!!! I love you...remember to eat some extra watermelon ice cream for me!

Burton Webb said...

looks like a great time to me!!! OK, I must admit that I am less certain than Brit about the nose thing.

Anonymous said...

Jenna I can't believe you got your nose pierced!! ha ha Thats great! I love your updates. Keep having fun!

Jake Hogan said...

I love reading this. I should start a blog about living on campus during the summer and doing the same boring things everyday. How cool.

You have to drink some mexican beer. It's good, I've heard.

Her neighborhood sounds like a nice place in Mexico. I would assume that the northern part of the country is a lot crappier than where you are. The city looks wonderful, though.