Monday, May 21, 2007

all by myself...almost

Today was my first day in the city by myself.

But I´ll start with yesterday morning. Pau and I met Nelson at their church because he played the drums yesterday. Their church is very small, about 20 people, but I really liked it. It lasted about 2 hours. But we were about 20 minutes late. Which leads me to an important point: every type A person should come to Mexico. It will make you a little uncomfortable at first, but once you get used to it, it is soo freeing! If you haven´t guessed, that´s how I feel. Schedules and plans are impossible here, you really have to live in the moment. And if, like me, you´re used to living by a schedule, you need to come and live here. We were late because we needed to take the taxi-van to church and three passed by us because they were full. We finally walked back home and woke up Pau´s dad to drive us. Oh well.

This is the church


After church, Nelson and Pau always have brochetas (shishkabobs) for lunch. You get two huge brochetas and a bag of spaghetti for $3! After buying them, I rode home with Nelson on the moto in my dress! Haha.



Then, Nelson and I went with Pau and her dad to vote. It was a lot like in the US only they do the whole stamping your thumb thing which was cool. I´ll try to put up more pics before they take things down because the propaganda here is in credible. It´s EVERYWHERE! Pictures would hardly do justice. Ivonne, the PRI candidate for governor of Yucatan won which was what all my friends here wanted.

After that, we watched the movies that Nelson and I had rented the night before. It´s great because the movies here are usually in english with spanish subtitles. We watched Matrix2 and The Illusionist. It was soo relaxing.
Today, I got up, ate some cereal and left to catch the bus all by myself. No problems. When I got downtown, I stopped off in a park to read for awhile and then went on to the library to study GRE. Wow, I have a lot of math to practice.
The view from the park where I read
Then, Diego got done with school early so he met up with me and when I was done with GRE we walked to the big park in the middle of the city and sat and talked for awhile. Then I asked if he´d show me the market. On the way, we stopped at the bread store (heaven!) to pick from one of the amazing variety of cheap bread treats. We choose one with ham and cheese inside. Then on to the market which I love! You have to see it, pictures just can´t do justice. The colors and smells, it´s crazy.
I can´t wait to buy my lunch here!
Chicken, anyone?
We were getting hot so we walked back to the centro and bought some cokes and ate our bread thing in the Oxxo (like Handy Andy!) in the air conditioning. Then, back to Pau´s house for our afternoon siesta. Diego had never taken the bus before so I taught him how! Back here, we turned on the tv and it was You´ve Got Mail in Spanish so I made Diego watch the last 15 minutes with me. It´s my favorite so that made me so happy. Right now he´s watching Mr Deeds. That´s about it for now. Enjoy the photos.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your updates!! Thanks for keeping us with you in Mexico...It's so good to hear all the details and to have pictures to go along with them. Please tell Paulina I said hi and I miss her tons! Hope you have a great day tomorrow too!

Anonymous said...

oh Jenna that sounded like a great day. How cool to go to the market?? I don't know if I could fit in there since I like to stick to a schedule as well. I hate when people are late to church...grr... ha ha.

PS I think I'm going to talk to Nancy about getting afternoon siestas here at work, what do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenna---I watched the episode of S&TC where Carrie was "shoe shammed" made me think of you!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

What? IWU politics? Who said that?