Saturday, October 27, 2007

trick or test

I have been studying all weekend. Because of Halloween. Yes, that's right. Because of Halloween.

I was scheduled to have two exams this coming Tuesday: Plant Molecular Bio and Regenerative Bio. Thanks to the idiots in my class, I am still scheduled to have two exams this coming Tuesday.

Our regenerative prof said, "So I hear that some of you would prefer to have this exam on Thursday." And I was thinking, thank you Jesus. "Let's take a vote," he said. "How many would prefer that the exam still be on Tuesday as scheduled?" And over half the class raised their hands! My jaw dropped. What in the world are they thinking? Most of these people are in my Plant class. Apparently they want to be able to go to drunken Halloween parties on Wednesday night without having to worry about an exam the next day. Let's just say I was slightly pissed.

So for this reason I am spending the whole weekend studying for two exams that are on the same day. Did I mention that these are the two classes in which I did the worst on the first round of exams?

I hate studying. And I hate saying no to fun stuff in order to study. My friends wanted me to go out with them last night, but I knew that I would spend the whole time feeling guilty about not studying. Unfortunately, I am getting old and cannot seem to study past about midnight. My brain just shuts off. So having fun and then coming home to study is not an option. I resent this grad program that I am in not only because I cannot see how it is going to benefit me in the future, but also because it is keeping me from enjoying my life right now. I hate missing out on things. I refuse to listen to my ipod in public places because I might miss something interesting that is going on around me. And I think this is a good thing for the most part. But I also need to remember that life will go on without me. And that I now have a much better understanding of DNA than I did a month ago. That's beneficial, right?

How I got to self-analysis from Halloween I do not know. Actually, I do. Too many flashcards.

3 comments:

Brian D said...

JP - I completely agree about being worthless after midnight. Except now I start shutting down at 9:30 pm. Ridiculous. Just call me gramps. Speaking of which, remember its about quality and not quantity (blogging). And I think you might have me there. Anyways, I hope the studying goes well. Sorry to hear about your classmates decision.

kentbrantly said...

wow, there was some animosity in that post. i mean, you used the words "idiot" AND "pissed"... if it makes you feel any better, the blacklight putt-putt didn't happen. i ended up just going over to jason's to hang out for a while. hang in there, kid. sacrifice is no fun, but at the least it builds character. and whatever you do for the rest of your life, you'll need to know how to make sacrifices. see you in the morning.

Hockie said...

Yeah, I definitely agree with this. I have been learning since I started grad school that, while I still wish to do well, I let so many things pass me by in undergrad because I was studying. I never want to have to say that again. While I think my schooling and work are important, I want to work to live not live to work. Friends and family are more important.