Tuesday, October 23, 2007

a little poetry

I was thinking about this poem today and so I thought I'd put it up here. It's one that I wrote for my creative writing class my junior year.

scalpels at supper

It seems they’re hardly ever there together,

but still each night she makes a meal for two.

She understands the weight the scalpel bears;

he takes her place when power shifts at five.

They love their work, but hate the separation.

At times it’s hard to love each other quite enough.

He’s always saying they should quit obsessing

about the cuts: incisions, needles, guts.

She says that it’s ok for them to dwell

on things that they both love, that brought them here

to this: it’s five am, she waits for him

to eat the meal she made for them last night.


She just ate breakfast and he’s too tired

to eat. But for now, they just let it go.

No comments: