Sunday, October 28, 2007

accent with a cherry on top, please

What girl doesn't love a guy with an accent? British, Brazilian, and even the occasional Birmingham have all been known to perk up my ears.

What got me thinking about this was my study break to Starbucks. I guess I could just call it my Starbucks break. I recently heard a comedian say, "At my house we don't call it Starbucks, we call it four-bucks." Funny, but a topic for another time. Writing this blog is my second break just in case you were wondering.

---

"I'd like a grande caramel light frappuccino, please."
"Nope," the guy behind the counter says jokingly. Because he wants to hear me say:
"Pretty please...with a cherry on top?" So I do.

But the guy making my drink is unfamiliar. Somehow, on Southport Road, not only is the new Starbucks guy British-ish, but so is the lady in front of me. So they have a fairly lengthy conversation about where they're from and how they got here (instead of making my drink), but I don't mind because it is interesting and I am eavesdropping.

The new employee seems about 35 and resembles Russell Crowe (who I am aware is from Australia). He hands me my light frappuccino, which apparently, pretty-please-with-a-cherry-on-top didn't tell him was supposed to have whipped cream. They assume that people who order light frappuccinos don't want whipped cream. But I do. So I sweetly ask Russell Crowe to add a bit for me. As he hands me back my drink, he says, in the cutest accent, "There ya go, flower." Melting occurs.

If pretty-please-with-a-cherry-on-top had called me flower, I would have thought he was a weirdo. Russell Crowe, on the other hand, can call me anything he wants.

---

PS: I just found the coolest website that has recordings of people from all over the world saying the same phrase to compare accents. It I wasn't supposed to be studying, I'd still be on there. Check it out. If you're as much of a language nerd as I am, you'll absolutely love it!

PPS: Kent pointed out that Russell Crowe is from New Zealand. And he was born there, but he grew up in Australia. I said, "Whatever. The important thing is that he now works at my Starbucks."

2 comments:

kentbrantly said...

i'm pretty sure russell crowe is from new zealand. and it made me laugh to read about you "melting" on your blog.
study hard.

Anonymous said...

lol cute post. I love men with accents, makes me "melt" as well.