Saturday, October 20, 2007

an ode to public radio

I'm just gonna throw it out there: I love NPR. I realize that I am only 22. I realize that many of the people who also love NPR are 40 or older. And I do not care. Because I love NPR. Just in case you don't know, NPR is National Public Radio. And National Public Radio is not songs and commercials- it's programming.

Why am I feeling so complelled to write about my love of NPR? Because all week now, they have been doing their fall pledge drive. Since NPR is programming and not songs and commercials, they need a lot of support from their listeners. Up until about a month ago, I was a part time NPR listener. But for the past few weeks, my radio dial has not left 90.1 WFYI. And I think this is for good. And the pledge drive, as annoying as it can be, worked. They finally convinced me to be not only a listener, but a supporter. I am now a member of WFYI Public Radio. At the age of 22.

Why do I love public radio? The number one reason boils down to this: it's hypnotic. I simply cannot turn the dial. There is something compelling about it. I will not turn the dial, despite the fact that they tell me to call in with my support every 10 minutes. I listen to author interviews about books about subjects in which I will never be interested. If you love NPR too, you understand. It's hypnotic.

I am a practical person, and so it only makes sense that I would love a practical radio station. I feel such a sense of accomplishment at the end of every commute. I have heard the day's news. I now know about upcoming community events. I have been transported back to a time when "shows" were on the radio and not the television.

My favorite show is "This American Life" with Ira Glass, over which I have connected with several friends. More than any other type of radio, NPR is radio which connects people. I like country music, you like country music, so what. But if you listen to NPR, I automatically like you. In undergrad, my friend Brian and I would often begin conversations with, "Did you hear This American Life last week?" And my friend Amy and I were talking before our class the other day and the following conversation ensued:

Amy: You'll probably think I'm crazy, but have you ever heard of 'This American Life'?
Me: Oh my gosh, I LOVE that show.
Amy: You are the first person who has ever answered yes to that question!

Instant connection.

I was meeting some friends to play mini golf last weekend and I was sitting in the parking lot with my windows down when my friend Kent pulled up next to me with his window down. He looked over and smiled, "We're listening to the same radio station." Connection. We now both know that the appendix might be useful after all.

I could obviously go on and on, but I will end with one of the first moments that got me on the road to being hooked. Several years ago, my friend Shane and I were driving home from a late dinner and listening to NPR. We weren't saying anything, we were hypnotized. Finally one of us said, "Sometimes I can't even tell if this was recorded yesterday or fifty years ago!" And I like that. I don't even know what program it was. But it was NPR.

3 comments:

kentbrantly said...

you should email this to NPR/WFYI. i bet they'd read an excerpt from it on the radio. maybe they'd even have YOU read an excerpt on the radio. maybe even the whole thing.

kentbrantly said...

ps. - part of the reason i like listening to NPR is because i don't necessarily agree with the position they seem to promote through some of their news programming. and i like that. my cousin stephen also listens to NPR (he's 25), and he agrees with me on this point. you and i should discuss this issue sometime.

Brian D said...

Oh - NPR. I love it. Although, lately I've become an only "This American Life" listener due to time constraints. Podcasts are incredible. They make the back roads driving complete. By the way, did you listen to the one a while ago on accidental documentaries. My favorite in recent history. Basically they edited and then played a tape bought in a thrift store which was an audio letter from parents talking to their son who was in med school in california in like 1967. It was gloriously interesting. Have a good one.