Friday, June 15, 2007

i hate people who talk in libraries

This is probably one of my biggest pet peeves- people who talk in libraries. Classes are out at the medical school where I use the library here so when I got there today there were a ton of people. Which was fine, I went to my cubicle and started working on GRE which was frustrating me anyway and add to that that there was no place in the library where people weren´t talking. So, doubly frustrated, I left and came back to my house where I finished my GRE practice test in silence. The GRE part is still frustrating.
Yesterday, after doing GRE at the library I decided to check out the zoo which is right down the street. It´s free so I figured why not. It was actually a pretty nice little zoo with a good selection of animals. The funniest thing was when I was standing with a few other people in front of the tigers and one man started to walk away. One of the tigers ran from the other side of its cage and lunged at the man and growled. Luckily there was a fence there but we were all shocked to say the least. Just goes to shows that even animals in zoos are wild animals. Here are some of my favorite pics from the zoo:



As you can see, I really like the birds. Especially the flamingos- they are so fascinating to me. I was wondering, why do flamingos stand on one leg? So being the good scientist that I am, I went to Wikipedia (that´s a joke- both parts) and it said that the reason is not exactly known but that one common suggestion is to conserve body heat. This does not seem necessary to me here in Mexico. It´s also funny because they bend their necks all the way around and rest their heads on their backs. How convenient.

On the way home I snapped a couple more pictures to show you what my everyday surroundings look like:

Coca-Cola EVERYWHERE! This is also the most common form of advertisement, painting on the walls of buildings.

The little grocery store that is close to Pau´s house

My street

Last night, Me, Pau, Nelson and Diego went to hang out at the mall. Pau and I took a moto-taxi. Not living in Mexico, this will not make sense to you but it is literally a taxi pulled by a motorcycle. A little cart with a bench is hooked to the back of a motorcycle. It´s hilarious. Pau, always looking out for you, my blogging audience, insisted on taking pictures.
Finally, this is me before the mall and after Pau asked me if I was going to take a shower. They take so many showers here it´s ridiculous. The look on my face can be translated as, "Another shower?? I´d really rather just lay here in my hammock until we´re ready to go."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate when people don't silence their cell phones in the library...come on!! Loved the zoo pictures!