Wednesday, July 4, 2007

a few observations

There were a few things from my day that I wanted to write down:

1. I find it interesting that in the neighborhood where I'm living, the only regular kind of store is Target- the most expensive store of its kind. And it has a Starbucks. Not complaining, just observing.

2. I'm sitting in the kitchen with the balcony door open because it's hot and there is very loud music in Spanish. But it's kind of summery and festive:) I think I like it.

3. What goes around comes around: As I was wheeling my cart of groceries out to my car today a girl probably about my age said, "Excuse me, can I ask you a favor?" I said sure and she told me that her car was sitting at the gas station of the store (Food-for-Less) completely out of gas and her debit card wasn't working. She asked if I would give her 2 or 3 dollars to put a little gas in her car to get back home, adding that she was so embarrassed. I had some cash on me that I gave to her, she thanked me and we parted ways. After I loaded my groceries, I also needed gas so I pulled into the station. As I was filling my tank, the lady at the pump next to me said, "Would you like one of these coupons for 10 cents off per gallon? I have several of them." I couldn't believe it. I had just helped someone pay for their gas and now someone was helping me pay for mine. I say this because I think this is one of the most important lessons that Lawndale has to offer. The people at the clinic may be giving up things to work there, but when you give of yourself in faith (no matter how big or small), you will never be empty. Your cup will overflow.

2 comments:

Scott D. Hendricks said...

Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you won't be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you: a good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
- Jesus

Glad to hear you're building your life on solid rock.

Anonymous said...

You're such a good person!